Sunday, June 13, 2010

Vancouver: Kintaro


oishii

:Denman Street:

A week or so ago while I was in Vancouver I had lunch at Kintaro's.  The Robson + Denman hub houses several good ramen places, including Benkei and two offerings by Daiji Matsubara.  

Kintaro's is arguably Canada's best ramen.  I'm not one to put too much weight on accolades.  I like it because it's delicious, service is polite, and the restaurant is shabby, not in a bad way, but in a comfortable, welcoming one.  A few stores down is what I refer to as Kintaro's sexier sister, Motomachi Shokudo.  The latter is more intimate and the decor is poshier.  Not unexpectedly items on the menu are each a few more dollars.

I prefer the familiar and inviting wooden tables of Kintaro's.  I had their special spicy garlic ramen.  As you can see, there was no shortage on garlic.  The broth was rich and savoury.  The noodles are perfect and the chasu (pork) was fatty, just the way I like it.  For the more conscious palate there is a choice of lean or medium.

The garlic seeped out of pores for days.  Thank goodness I slept alone.

Kintaro Ramen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing is caring. And remember, love to eat and never stop shopping. Mass consumption is only bad when you don't use your brain. Besos.