Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Men: Scent dependent emotionality


the scent of a man
Warning: This posting includes generalizations that could be offensive to some readers.

They say every man looks good in a suit. True. But the better man knows that cufflinks set him apart.

Cologne is the everyday accessory for the better modern man. It doesn’t have to be worn every day, nor does it have to be the same one. While I believe everyone should find their unique signature scent, a collection of colognes doesn’t hurt.
There’s nothing better than the lingering smell of a man. The feeling you get when you hug your man and breathe in. Natural, raw, clean, masculine…almost makes you want to lick him all over.
 
Applying cologne involves so many do nots, and only one do: shower and spray – once – however you want it (in the air and walk through, on the wrists, on the chest). But just ONCE. 

Don’t douse yourself. I don’t care how popular Jersey Shore is, it’s never okay to smell like a fistpumping douchebag. If I can smell you coming, I will run the other way.
Don’t be cheap. Simple logic: buy cheap cologne, attract cheap bait.

For me, smell is tied to memory and thus emotions. Sometimes a sniff is all I need to spot a winner from a loser. 
  • Dolce & Gabbana Collection for Men – Sophisticated. The signature scent of an old friend. He landed his life partner with this one.
  • John Varvatos Artisan – Reserved and woody. Think lumberjack in a Paul Smith suit.
  • JPG aka Jean Paul Gaultier – Sexy. This stuff is dangerous, but in a good way. I was sad when the smell left an “old” blanket.
  • Chrome by Azzaro – Playful. I find the most sensitive manly men wear this. It makes me smile every time. I still haven’t met anyone else who wears this, but if I did, magic.
  • The Armani Collection – Classic and timeless. Coincidentally, like my best friend. This has been his signature scent for more than a decade.
  • Acqua Di Gio - Has a cult-like following and a personal favourite.
  • Canali – My favourite. Created for better men everywhere.  

  • Burberry – Once upon a time an inviting scent. Now, I avoid it like the plague. Every CBC and FOB I know wears this...no thanks.
  • Issey Miyake – Feminine, not quite how I’d want my man to smell.  I smell sweet and feminine enough for the both of us.
  • Lacoste – Weak, just like the boys who wear it, ya that's right, BOY.
  • Tommy Hilfiger – Sure, if you’re a post-pubescent adolescent male...
  • Colognes by Guess, Diesel, Calvin Klein – The go-to scents of Ed Hardy loving, fedora sporting, tight t-shirt wearing men everywhere. ‘Nuff said.
In case you’re wondering, I don’t buy cologne for my boyfriends or my guy friends. Funny thing is, my filtering system must work, all of them were winners long before I met them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing is caring. And remember, love to eat and never stop shopping. Mass consumption is only bad when you don't use your brain. Besos.