Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Toronto: Gio Rana’s Really Really Nice Restaurant


like really, really good

:Leslieville:

The nose knows, you know.  That’s the only marker indicating you have arrived at my favourite Italian restaurant.  I confess I was reluctant to share this one. There are only a handful of restaurants, including Gio’s, that I hold close to my heart. I want to shield them from being overrun by the uncivilized hordes that populate this city and have no appreciation for quality. But that’s not you, is it?

This traditional restaurant is one of the funkiest places to eat. Its decor is bargain chic - a haphazard mess of mismatched chairs and beautiful vintage chandeliers. The interesting and well-published fact is that the building used to be a bank, and Gio kept the vault intact to use as a private dining area.  It's details like these that build character, and we know it's all about the details - in life, in fashion, and in food.

The best part of Gio's is the food. Where do I begin?  It's all so good so I’ll just tell you what my last meal was: pan-seared scallops with pork belly and Scotty’s meatball to start. My primi was the crespelle and I ended with the involtini. If I could, I would order absolutely everything. The sexy duck and ossobuco are two of my other favourites, as is the asparagus with gorgonzola, but that’s because I love cheese – and the funnier the name, the more inclined I am to order it. I'm drooling all over my keyboard...

Gio's is simply the best, amazing food in a whimsical setting. All the right elements for a perfect night. 


Gio Rana's Really Really Nice Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing is caring. And remember, love to eat and never stop shopping. Mass consumption is only bad when you don't use your brain. Besos.