Monday, May 30, 2011

Montreal: Lawrence


smiles all around
:Mile-End/Plateau:


My sister and I love brunch. And she sometimes turns to Montreal Brunch and Breakfast to get the intel on newer places (P.S. I, too, enjoy this site). A month before my visit, she told me about Lawrence.

I wanted to try it for dinner but we were so slow to move this weekend and just couldn't get it together for a "night out". Or maybe it was just me. I was a bit of a mess this weekend. I think it started with the Pinot Grigio I pounded back on Friday night as soon as I got in. After that I was so sloppy - dropping things, lots of things, many times. *sheepish grin*

We woke up late Sunday morning and Bixi-ed over to find a crowd. Luckily I was still half-asleep and could use the time to fully wake up. The host took our name and number and said he'd call when a table opened. It was about a 20 minute wait so we decided to get some bagels and enjoy the sun and spring breeze.

Once inside, the place reminded me of Sunday lunch by the sea. Do you know what I mean? Picturesque and lively, kinda like a sweet song.  I don’t know how else to explain it. The staff seemed to love their jobs which means flawless service. In fact, in keeping with comparisons that make no sense, our server was like daisies in a milk jug. I know, these metaphors are so left field...anyway...

Something to take note of is the fact that Lawrence changes both its menus via twitter – so 21st century. I love it.


Okay seriously, aren't you dying to take a fork and pop that benny ball???
It's so plump.

I had the Eggs Benedict ($15) and my sister had the Fiddleheads, bacon, soda bread and fried eggs ($16); the only caveat being that they ran out of fiddleheads and substituted asparagus. Score! We don't like fiddleheads, but love asparagus.

My sister's dish was delicious. Everything was seasoned well and put together made for yummy breakfast bites. My Benny was equally yummy – decadent hollandaise over perfectly poached eggs and lean, smoky ham - not like deli ham or bacon, but like porky pork.

Lawrence's brunch was definitely Top 10 for me, but one particular menu item catapulted them to the top of the list.  The beigne au chocolat ou au citron aka homemade doughnuts. Yes, doughnuts. It's no secret I love doughnuts, but my sister who doesn't enjoy them as much as I do loved them. Something tells me I’ll find her there next weekend eating a plate on her own. Ha.


These little beignets are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside with a filling of either chocolate or lemon. The lemon curd-custard was tangy and sweet and oh so heavenly. At only three per order for $5, don’t share. Sharing sucks, here’s half of the third that I had to give my sister. You’d think she would have let me have it, considering I’m younger. It would have been the big sister thing to do, non? Vous vous engagez?

Lawrence on Urbanspoon


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing is caring. And remember, love to eat and never stop shopping. Mass consumption is only bad when you don't use your brain. Besos.