Thursday, May 5, 2011

Toronto: Four Seasons High Tea


The Royal fuss may be over, but long live high tea
:Yorkville:

I’m on a mission to find the best high tea in Toronto. No wait, that’s wrong. I’m on a mission to prove that I’ve already found the best high tea in Toronto. I just like to prove a point.



I have had afternoon/high tea at the Windsor Arms more times than I’d care to share – it’s embarrassing to say I’ve spent that much money on something so simple. Then again, life’s simple pleasures ain’t cheap.

It doesn’t take a lot to make me happy, but it takes a certain elegance to make my heart sing. Fashionable outfits, big windows, sun rays, scones, Devonshire cream, honest conversation, and a warm pot of tea ignites a symphony.

The Four Seasons’ afternoon tea service started out great.  It's barely ($3) cheaper than Windsor at $35 for full tea. Their atrium-esque lobby bar is comfortable and leisurely. I enjoyed their sandwiches, especially the mushroom one, but in the end, all three tiers were lacking.

Smoked Salmon - Ham & Cheese - Mushroom - Chicken
Buttery - Okay - Good - Dry


Ella and I felt it was just okay. Nothing was terrible, but nothing stood out. I would like to give the Four Seasons a high five for the lemon curd – it was delicious and I haven’t seen anyone else offer it.

The fact that I have smuggled scones out of the Windsor Arms makes it the best (still, and so far).  If I resort to taking something home with me (their scones are also served at their weekend buffet brunch), well, that says A LOT.  Windsor Arms is still number one; Four Seasons is runner-up…for now. The King Edward is next.

All in all it was an elegant afternoon. Ella and I sipped our tea and caught up. It’s not the amount of time you spend with someone, it’s what you do with it when you do. Ain’t that right bella?





3 comments:

  1. High Tea and Afternoon Tea are not the same thing. According to the photographs, what you enjoyed was Afternoon Tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks "Anonymous". Pat, pat. I am actually well aware of the difference between high and afternoon tea...but at this point, it's just semantics.

    ReplyDelete

Sharing is caring. And remember, love to eat and never stop shopping. Mass consumption is only bad when you don't use your brain. Besos.