Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Toronto: Foxley


bokchoy, chimichuri, umeboshi
 :Ossington:
"Winner of the Night"
Oven steamed cod with asian greens (um, what's wrong with saying bok choy...cuz that's what it was)
and white truffle oil

There are people who run to eat at "famous" places when there's a lot of buzz.  Those people would be...well...stupid. Like I always say...there is good food everywhere.  And sometimes good food becomes bad, and other times it's even better.  It's all relative. 

Foxley made a lot of noise when Tom Thai first opened it.  But since I didn't run to go wait in a line, I eventually forgot about it.  Then Cracker came home one day (when we were still roomies) and gushed about how delicious it was.  Then I moved and eventually forgot about it.

But yesterday, I walked right by it.  Couldn't miss it.  Glad I didn't.

Yesterday evening my BFF, his boys and I were looking for a place to grab dinner.  Monday is really not the best day for a night out, so many things are closed.  The Flash, aka one of my BFF's longstanding friends, suggested Campagnolo.  We walked there only to find it was closed (but I just added it to my list so that's always a good thing.).  We proceeded to Black Hoof, only to find it was a 45 minute wait.  So we kept going until we hit foodie-hipster central, better known as Ossington.  From BQM to Libretto to Golden Turtle, it's a fat girl's paradise.

As we walked south, nothing really piqued our tastebuds.  Then we saw the Foxley sign and I suddenly remembered.  It's on my list.  

We ate.  Perhaps one "small dish" too many:

One of two cheviches we ordered. 
This is Nunavut Artic Char *thumbs up*
The other was scallops *thumbs down*

Spicy Crispy Shrimps with Jalapenos and Garlic
REALLY REALLY GOOD
  
Grilled Hanger Steak with Chimichuri
Good, but after the cod came out, it got demoted to okay.
If I had to describe Foxley I would say it's a fusion bistro.  The menu strikes me as being a mix of Asian and South American flavours.   

Not every dish was equal, but the really good ones balanced out mediocritiy. 

Balance is everything.



Slow-Braised Pork Belly with Muscatel Reduction
OINKILICIOUS
I love pork belly, sigh....


Foxley on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Sharing is caring. And remember, love to eat and never stop shopping. Mass consumption is only bad when you don't use your brain. Besos.