Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Toronto: The Stockyards


pigpen
:St. Clair West:



It's been a while since I left a new restaurant smiling ear-to-ear.  (And by new, I  mean new to me).

It's not that I didn't try to go to Stockyards - I did, many times, but I always failed.  I suppose it has something to do with the fact that St. Clair and Bathurst seems like Thornhill to me.  I suffer from distance-retardation on weekend mornings.

But last Sunday I woke up motivated.  Big sister in town will do that to you.  I got my ass into gear so my sister could get something yummy in her tummy.  You see, she can get particularly rabid if not fed well.

We arrived at Stockyards and found ourselves second in line.  There was a party of four in front of us.  As soon as we got seated, we were brought water.  Then we were brought (humongous) cups of coffee , and then they took our order.  They did all that with a smile.  A genuine smile.  I loved it.
Peruse the menu:


The OBVIOUS choice is chicken and waffles.  We also settled on The Whole 9 Yards.  I say 'settled' because I really wanted EVERYTHING.  

The Whole 9 Yards
Everything on the plate was so flavourful.  So much going on and as my sister said..."mmm, I like it!!!"  Deep fried poached eggs.  Makes me happy!  Fried green tomatoes.  Makes me happy!  Beans and delicious sausage patties and the most spectacular, fatty, succulent meaty piece of smoked bacon.  Makes me horny!  Gasp, I kid, I kid!

Fried Chicken and Waffles

The chicken and waffles were badass.  I loved how it all worked together like magic.  Fluffy waffles that witheld their bounce and didn't get soggy.  Amazingly-fried savoury chicken with a tasty crust and crunch.  All doused with some seriously lickable chili maple molasses citrus glaze. Finished with a sprinkling of rosemary.
----------!!!!

I swore right there.

Stockyards is all about rich savoury flavours for brunch.  And who doesn't want to start their weekend like that?


DEMOLISHED.
I'm adding this gem to my list.  My list is THE list.  


The Stockyards Smokehouse & Larder on Urbanspoon






2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I probably drive by it twice a day and have never noticed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, Melissa here from Food Bloggers of Canada. Just popping by to check out your blog and to let you know we've added you to our Membership Directory. Welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete

Sharing is caring. And remember, love to eat and never stop shopping. Mass consumption is only bad when you don't use your brain. Besos.