Monday, July 2, 2012

Montreal: Main


pitstop
:St. Laurent:


You could stand in line at Schwartz, but now that it's been privately bought, I'm not sure how I feel about doing that. Course I've had a lot of Schwartz in my time. A lot a lot.

It will always have a nostalgic hold on my heart, but sometimes I just want a bite of smoked meat. Not a whole sandwich, just a few bites. And I don't want to stand in a crowded line of annoying sight-see-ers.

So I look across the street.  Main has been around a while. It's guilty of having used one of the worst fonts ever, but this isn't fontology.

It's famous in it's own right. A longstanding old fashioned deli serving solid smoked meat. In fact, they've probably served the same food, the same way, for a long time. And why shouldn't they?  Repeat history if it tastes good.

My sister thought of Main because she recently saw it on the Food Network's "You gotta eat here". Well, then we gotta. We popped in for a quick lunch as we scoffed at the line of tourists waiting at Schwartz.


Service was friendly.

Main is evidently famous for its potato latkes. I'm so sorry, but I will pass on these. I prefer my latkes less dense. These felt more like heavy floury potato patties. And sadly they were a little too charred for my liking. But then again, sour cream masks everything, including burned bits.
Dislike.
Of course the main event was the Main Super Poutine. While pricey at $10 plus, it was o.mazing. You take good old fashioned french fries, a lot of Quebec cheese curds, gravy and then throw on slices of smoked meat and you get big bites of yummy.

HYFR.
One-out-of-two is good. The fact that we ate that and rolled out to see the line across the street had barely moved, well that's just gooder.

Main St Lawrence Steak House Delicatessen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing is caring. And remember, love to eat and never stop shopping. Mass consumption is only bad when you don't use your brain. Besos.