Monday, September 24, 2012

Toronto: Weslodge


whatever
:King West:

O GG, GG, wherefore art thou GG?
Deny thy readers and refuse thy posts…


My apologies readers – friends, family and strangers – I forgot to say I was going on a hiatus.  I’ve been travelling. And I can’t wait to share those food adventures…one day.

For now…I have only a few weeks left in Toronto and wanted to share the things that make my heart sing.

Seeing my favourite duo – Cracker and The Scotsman – makes my heart sing. Even though I have a love-hate relationship with them. I love them when they’re not making fun of me. I hate them otherwise.

Last Friday I bee-lined down to King Street to crash their dinner date at a “hype” new place called Weslodge. I was so excited. The yellow doors are such a statement and the reviews were pretty good.

I was sadly, disappointed. The biggest factor was the pretentious air. We didn’t have a reservation but the tone in which we were told we could “borrow” the table and “give it back” in an hour was too too much. It’s just a table. In a restaurant. You want the seats filled, right? Am I wrong? In fact we filled them for a full two hours until they gave us a ten minute warning.

Regardless of the attitude of the hostess, the wait staff was friendly and informative. They all seemed to be having a good time in their kitschy saloon uniforms, which leads me to the décor – think hunter meets prince. Love it.

All that said, I was unimpressed with the food. I got 21 french fries. I counted because they looked so sparse when they came to the table. The menu itself is pricier than what it should be so I would have at least wanted 25 fries. The rest of the food was underwhelming, save and except the Scotch Egg. Cracker gave it her stamp of approval.

I’m blogging about it still because the desserts and cocktails were banging. And I only use banging when I hands-up like something. My niece told me that people say “legit”. So using her vocabulary, yes, these desserts are legit.

The instant cake:

I’m not a fan of chocolate, but I’m a fan of wonder – INSTANT CAKE? Wondrous.
The cheesecake:


The Scotsman and Cracker were fighting over the last bite, but oh-so-politely, until Cracker just ate it.

All in all, I would go again – with a reservation, with an attitude, and just for drinks.

Weslodge on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing is caring. And remember, love to eat and never stop shopping. Mass consumption is only bad when you don't use your brain. Besos.