Monday, October 22, 2012

Vancouver: Shanghai River


someone give me a lifeboat

:Richmond:


Yelpers and Urbanspooners love it.  The blogs I follow love it.  My sister likes it.  Her friends do too.  I figured it was a sure bet for dinner with my ma.

It's polite and clean.  The anticipation was killing me, especially since you can see them prep the soup dumplings - xio long bow


They arrived and after my first bite I was confused.  I did not love it.  While the flavour of the dumplings was good, the soup was swimming with huge chunks of pork crud and grease.  Now, I've had a lot of XLB in my life and I've never seen it look quite so cloudy and grimy.  The skin itself was super thick and chewy.  I remain confused.

This was my mother's first XLB and I regret taking her because she did not enjoy it.  Now it will take persuasion and bribery to get her to go eat it again.  My mother does not agree with my philosophy about trying everything at least twice.  If she doesn't like it, she avoids it.

XLB


We did, however, love our other two dishes:


Mapu tofu - creamy tofu, tons of flavour, and nice kick


Shanghai soup noodles - nice broth and full of greens
I know I am in the minority about this one.  All the people I trust and all the bloggers I follow love the XLB here...so I really don't know what to say.   Perhaps it was a bad batch.  I warrant it happens.  I will give it another go.  I just hope that doesn't send me down the river...without a paddle.

Shanghai River 滬江海派料理 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing is caring. And remember, love to eat and never stop shopping. Mass consumption is only bad when you don't use your brain. Besos.