Sunday, July 21, 2013

New York: Fatty Crab

fell a little flat
:West Village:
 



Fatty Crab has been on my list since 2009. I love that they characterize themselves as a joint because that's exactly what it felt like and that is something I am down with. In theory, I'm also down with the Malaysian inspired food, especially after the BFF introduced it to me in Australia. But the two dishes we ordered from Fatty Crab weren't awesome. They looked awesome, but fell short.
The noodles we ordered were borderline inedible. They were so salty we couldn't get past two bites. And I hate to waste food but the garbage was where it headed. I eavesdropped on the table next to us (they ordered the noodles too) and they felt the same way.
Seasoning fail.
Their specialty chili crab was much better. It was also a tad salty but it was as flavourful as it was messy. Still, it was a far cry from the mud crab I had in Australia. Comparing the two is stupid,but I'm not feeling so smart today.
Scale of 10? 5.
If you're looking for a wannabe-dive spot serving ethnic eats, Fatty Crab is perfect. Just be careful of what you order. The restaurant was full and almost everyone looked happy which makes me think we may have just ordered wrong. It has the potential to be really good, especially the fatty duck. The table next to us had it and it looked pretty awesome.
 

Fatty Crab on Urbanspoon 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing is caring. And remember, love to eat and never stop shopping. Mass consumption is only bad when you don't use your brain. Besos.