Saturday, February 14, 2015

Vancouver: Long's Noodle House

taste of shanghai
:Main + 32nd Ave:


RESTO open 11 am to 3 pm and 530 to 9 pm
@4853 Main Street Google maps

Must eats:

Xiao Long Bao
PERFECTION!

Dau Mui
An oldie but a goodie
Long's Noodle House is a long time local favourite. Eli & Cia highly recommended this place when I first asked: where can I find the best XLB aka xiao long bao aka soup dumplings. They both screamed in unison- LONG'S! 

I finally got to try it today. Course I would have missed it if I wasn't looking. The restaurant has a simple small exterior - nothing flashy - nothing that says - HEY EAT HERE, I'M AWESOME. It's adjacent to Au Petite Cafe which has a stellar reputation in its own right (best BMB). But one meal at a time. I mean I can eat, but I don't like to bite off more than I can chew...

Long's is your archetypal Asian restaurant. The hole in the wall joint your parents know about. They serve fantastic food in a casual and minimalist restaurant without a lot of seating. They have a common sharing table so you may find yourself rubbing elbows with strangers if you're a party of anything less than six.


Riri and I had a very productive day shopping so you'll see we worked up an appetite. Apart from the two dishes above, we also had:


Black Bean Beef Chow Mein
Tasty.

Wontons in spicy sauce.
Lin's spicy wontons are ridiculously delicious. So sadly there was no comparison.
But these were still okay.

Beef roll - tastes very different from the traditional Shanghainese ones I'm used to.
But good - flavours of lemongrass and cilantro and rare beef takes me to Vietnam.


Eli & Cia were right. The XLB were delicious. Inside the delicate think skins was rich and flavourful broth and the juiciest plumpest mounds of meat. 

I wish I had filtered through the thousands of reviews, however, because I missed another MUST eat - the wine chicken. It's beautifully presented and I hear it is also THE dish to have at Long's. Great news is, I will return. Familiar flavours with the occasional unexpected twist. It only took one bite to understand why Long's has a fan following and remains a staple on the Vancouver restaurant scene. 

Hi, you love Long's? Me too. It's official, I'm a true Vancouverite.

Two girls, Five plates.

Long's Noodle House 小龍記麵家 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing is caring. And remember, love to eat and never stop shopping. Mass consumption is only bad when you don't use your brain. Besos.